Sunday, April 14, 2013

Multitasking for your Skin!

Last year I bought my first BB Cream. The funny thing was the moment when the beauty consultant and I were wondering, together, what the BB stood for! ...and you'd would think she had to know that! Well, she was partially right. She told me "I think it means blemish balm!" When the other beauty consultant came back from her break she added the other half: "It also stands for beauty balm!" This was a Clinique inside Nordstrom, last Fall! BB stands for both blemish balm and beauty balm, and there are many brands that carry a BB cream. This type of cream is like a bit of magic for your face!

Time went by and here we are: Spring 2013 with Summer right around the corner. If your skin is like mine, it acts quite differently when it becomes hot and humid outside. I may have more breakouts and definitely need to watch out for the harmful sun rays. My skin gets oily in a matter of seconds, and sticky too. While during the colder days I need a different approach for my skin, the warmer time of the year requires a bit of a shift.

I still don't want to give up the BB Cream in the hot weather! I like it a lot and it's quite beneficial for the skin. It acts like a multitasker, covering up imprefections and evening out skin tone making it possible for you to skip foundation and concealer, moisturizing the skin (even oily skin needs moisture!), protecting from the sun, adding antioxidants to the skin and acting like a primer if you're applying make up after it. Talk about the possibility of saving space on your vanity and your travel beauty bag! This BB cream was first developed in Germany and when it hit Asia, South Koreans were the first ones to go crazy about it!

So, what I decided to do was test out 4 different BB creams: Clinique, Maybelline, L'Oreal and Revlon. These 4 were featured last month in a popular beauty magazine, and I decided to give it a try.


While all of them have a nice tint (you can choose light, medium or dark) I believe the "dark" option is not truly a darker tone like you'd see in a foundation that has so many different color variations. So, the tint color may actually disappoint a few people. I am not too fair but not too tanned either, and I tried the medium tones, which worked best for me. The Clinique BB cream was too light for me and made my skin look a bit ashy. The Revlon one and the Clinique one had a very similar, thicker texture and I can see it working well for Fall and Winter time, if you have "oily issues" like I do. Both have a broad spectrum sun protection (SPF 30) which is wonderful! The L'Oreal BB cream was a nice surprise: It's actually white with grey grains that, when applied in light circular and even motions to your skin turn beige like the skin. Very light texture, but once applied (and when you wash your hands) you feel the moisturizing action in it. The only thing I missed in the L'Oreal BB Cream was sun protection! My favorite of all these 4 was the Maybelline BB cream! It's got great sun protection (SPF 30), the texture is not too light and not too heavy and the coverage is perfect! The price factor is also very appealing (these 3 except for Clinique range between $8 and $10), as you can find it in all drugstores and it's not expensive if you compare it to Clinique and others such as Estee Lauder, Boscia, Too Faced, Stila, Smashbox and other BB creams in the higher end (all $30 and up).

My advice is this: If you're interested in using a BB cream, protecting and beautifying your skin, look at your budget and "invest" in 2 or 3. Don't just do the cream on the hand test at the store. You gotta wear it for a whole day to approve it or not! If you don't like it, find a friend who'd like to try the ones you didn't like and she can do the same, passing on the creams around your friendship circle. That's what I will do!

I'm so excited already because the fun won't stop here: Have you heard of the newer CC Creams?

Treat yourself well and be happy! Have a wonderful Sunday!


No comments: