Saturday, March 23, 2013

Creating our Family Movie Library

When my sister and I were little, growing up in Rio de Janeiro we had one favorite movie we kept watching over and over again: "The Sound of Music". It was a Family Favorite. We had a copy on VHS in English - I must have been around 6 years old, and I wouldn't start learning English for another 5 years from then. Somehow, though, we "understood" the whole thing, loved the music and the characters. We played my sister was Gretl and I was Liesl!

Now it's my turn to create Family Favorites with our kids! They are still very young (3 and 5), however, it's a marvelous thing to be able to sit together and watch a movie; a movie we love....over and over! And right now we sort of have to watch it over and over because the movie is often interrupted by the girls who all of a sudden decide it's time to play with dolls, it's time for a snack or it's not time to stay seated quietly and watch a movie at all! It's the age thing...

Here is our list, so far, of Family favorites which are becoming a staple in our home:

  • The Sound of Music
  • Mamma Mia!
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • High School Musical 1,2 and 3
  • Enchanted
  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  • Annie
  • All of the Beethoven movies (the dog!)
  • All Shrek movies
  • Tangled (Rapunzel)
  • Camp Rock 1 and 2
  • Princess Diaries 1 and 2
  • Tinkerbell (all 3 movies)
  • The Smurfs


Do you watch movies at home? Does your family have a few favorites?
I wonder which of these will really stay with us, especially with the children, and which of these will be talked about when they grow older. It's so interesting to see how many "new" things we start learning from a movie as we grow. Of course I did not understand everything in The Sound of Music when I was a child as I do today. A child's innocence is truly precious and nowadays I treasure how a movie "grew" with me. Oh, and let's not forget about books! I will leave that for another post!

Creating wonderful memories is certainly part of a great life!

No comments: